Apply National Health Insurance 2015-04-23
Foreign Nationals from Hong Kong, Macau, China, or Other Countries who Reside in Taiwan with an Alien Resident Certificate (ARC)
The National Health Insurance Act stipulates that foreign nationals who with Valid Alien Resident Certificate or Resident certificate for the Taiwan area( including those from Hong Kong, Macau and China) must be registered in the National Health Insurance program upon living in Taiwan for 6 months (6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan or with one trip abroad not exceeding 30 days when the actual residency period of 6 months is reached after the days abroad have been deducted). But those people who get work permits with ARC must join the National Health Insurance program by their employer starting the day they are employed.
I. Foreign students
1. Foreign students can apply to enroll in the program through their school.
2. Those who receive permission from the National Immigration Agency under the Ministry of the Interior to extend their stay after graduation shall proceed to the district office of residence to extend their enrollment in the NHI program.
II. Those with fixed employers
Those with a steady job can register for the program through their employers.
III. Those who are unemployed but able to enroll as a dependent through a relative (i.e., parents, spouses, or children) could participate in the National Health Insurance program through a relative's insurance registration organization after six months continuous residence in Taiwan.
IV. Those without a fixed employer or family members with whom dependency can be claimed, must, after six months of consecutive residence, enroll through the local administrative office where they reside.
V. Company chairpersons/owners
They must enroll in the program through their company after six months of consecutive residence.
Applying National Health Insurance
1.On-site Application and Claim
To apply for a new NHI card, you can go to any NHIA regional division with your ID (original), one 2x2 photograph, and handling fee (NT$200). If you appoint a representative to apply for an NHI card on-site, that person should present their ID and your ID to NHIA staff for verification.
2.Post Office Collection
Please fill out the “NHI Card Claim Application Form”, paste one 2x2 photograph on the front of the form, and paste a photocopy of the ID on the back of the form. Pass the form along with a handling fee of NT$200 to the post office clerk. You will receive your new NHI card after about seven working days. Please claim the “NHI Card Claim Application Form” at the post office or download it from the National Health Insurance Administration website. Opening hours and locations of post offices nationwide are available on the Chunghwa Post Co., Ltd. website:
3.Internet Applications
For Internet applicants (limited to applications for reissuing NHI cards due to damage, loss, or photograph replacement), please apply for the NHI card via one of the application platforms below:

coverage credential
Personal NHI
information network services
E. Sun Bank
Users Unit credential and natural person certificate of assigned person Natural person Natural person certificate or NHI card E. Sun Bank chip ATM card
Applicants All insured targets of the unit internal insurance Natural person certificate or NHI card holder and family members Chip ATM card holder

4.Application through Household Registration Office
If you lose your ID or want to change your personal information, for example ID number, name, or date of birth, you can visit any household registration office nationwide to file an application for a new ID and a new NHI card. People may also file an application for an NHI card when applying for a new national ID card at the Household Registration Office. Once the service is paid for, your new NHI card should arrive within seven working days. For people who have not received their national ID card but wish to change the basic data on their NHI card, they can only apply for an NHI card without a photograph.
5.Application through Township (Town/City/District) Office
For a lost or damaged NHI card, people may apply for a new card at a nearby district office. Applicants may file applications by presenting their original ID and a CD containing a photo at the town (township, city, district) office. Once the service is paid for, your new card should arrive within about seven working days. If you have a representative apply for an NHI card on-site, that person should present their ID and your ID to NHIA staff for verification.
National Health Insurance Administration